Monday, July 19, 2010

“If a man loses pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music in which he hears, however measured, or far away."
-Henry David Thoreau

Yesterday was Sunday, its been so nice to have a day off and be able to rest. In the morning we chose out our saris and headed over to have the house mothers wrap us. It was misting, and walking back to the volunteer hostels was absolutely beautiful and serene. I loved how quiet it was, I was all alone, surrounded by palm trees and the bright  green of the other plants around me. Everything was muffled because of the rain and the beautiful cloth of my sari flowed around me feet. I know it sounds silly but it really was a quiet special moment. It really made me realize I will miss having all of this beauty around me wherever I go.


(side note: just heard tons of screaming from the little girls so went outside to check it out, saw my first real cobra! they caught it and are going to kill it, will definitely show pictures in my next post!)

While we were on the RSO bus heading out to church one of the little boys ran forward and began talking to the bus driver and he immediately stopped and began to reverse for a good amount of time. They were mainly talking in Tamil but from what I could catch it sounded like something had fallen out of the window. We reversed for a good amount of time and I just kept wondering what would be worth all this and if it was really that important. When we finally stopped to boy jumped off to grab the object I just burst out laughing. He came on carrying the window. The window had fallen off the bus. It was a totral T.I.I. moment. (TII stands for "this is India" noone really knows how it began but its a phrase used when something doesn't go as planned, if you didn't already know India is a pretty go with the flow place, you just have to be flexible. I absolutely love how relaxed it is.)

We arrived at church and had a beautiful Sunday meeting. It was amazing to see how the LDS church we went to was exactly the same as it is back home, just not always in the same language:)
We met in the basement of a building, and there was even a gaurd at the door.
Everyone looked beautiful.
Amy Antonelli Left yesterday:( she is seriously amazingg
And anothr TII moment happened on the way home from church, the good ol bus broke down... It was actually pretty funny cause it was bound to happen atleast once these couple weeks:)

Afterwards we ate an amazing dinner of spaghetti, and the Bertha family gave a beautiful devotion about humility and we all went to go spend time with our families and help the older kids study for their exams. While we were there the power went out and it was pitch black all the little kids were all riled up, it was pretty funny, they would try to scare me by making monster noises. After I was able to locate my backpack one of the house mothers told us to head back to our rooms early because it was going to rain. The lights didn't take to long to come back on, but by the time we reached the hostel it was raining. We all ran out into the middle of our court yard and started dancing and splashing in the puddles, others filled up buckets from spouts and splashing everyone, needless to say we were all drenched by the end. It was so much fun:)

no idea why I have such creepy eyes... ahah but you get the idea.

/Afterwards we all sat outside and blogged and talked  for hours, it was a wonderful night

wwithgreatlovee,
Kenzie

2 comments:

  1. So fun to skype with you this morning!! You looked darling in your new top, and so happy & tired!! I'm cracking up about the window falling out of the bus & can just picture your long ride in reverse to go get it!!

    I love that you got to attend church on Sunday - I have always enjoyed doing that in other countries, and noticed the same thing -- the gospel is the same wherever you are, no matter what language you are speaking! So cool.

    Your description of walking in all wrapped in your sari in the mist painted a beautiful picture - - i hope you can always remember the feeling that you had in that moment.

    Thanks for sharing! Good luck in the jungle for the next couple days! We'll miss hearing from you, but will know you are working hard! That $75 worth of malaria meds makes me far less worried about this little jaunt! love you, mom

    ReplyDelete