Friday, July 16, 2010

“If we could see others the way they see themselves our shyness would soon turn to compassion.”





Today was absolutely amazing, it has been so full of experiences that I know I will never forget. I was on medical crew again today and we had the opportunity to go to a colony called Moot. I’ve hear so much about the colony and how much everyone always loved it, but I never really knew why. Years ago a government leprosy house became to overcrowded and about 30 of its members were kicked out. They were the people with the worst conditions and were chosen because of their unbearable smell which was caused by their rotting flesh. Five years ago Padma and Rising Star began to visit Moot and help the people who lived there. There are now only 7 people left in the colony, 3 women 4 men.
When we first arrived I didn’t know what to expect, the colony was small, but we were immediately greeted by an adorable happy man with a booming voice and a huge smile. We all sat underneath a large tree as the rest of the colony members came out of their homes. We played Jenga with men who had few fingers but they loved stacking and restacking the towers after they’d fallen. One man who had no fingers on either hand entertained himself by blowing on or knocking the first dominoe in a long line, and would laugh and laugh as they all crashed to the ground.
There was so much love it is almost impossible to describe. Just being able to sit and hold one of their scarred and warped fingers and let them know that I cared for them and that they were worthwhile. The people at this colony had dignity again and that set them apart so much from any other leprosy affected people I have ever met. Self esteem is so important, and this disease is so devastating because it not only ravages a person physically but also mentally and emotionally.
Later in the afternoon we began to sing and dance, the jolly happy man sang us their national anthem in Tamil and we sang him ours in English. We sang silly songs with hand motions and the entire community joined in with huge grins on their faces. Afterwards the man, called himself “the jolly dance master” showed us his drumming skills on a circular tin lid. We all began to dance, those who could not stand swayed from their seat, others began to click dominoes together adding to the beat, I grabbed a bag of chess pieces as a makeshift shaker. As I looked around I felt nothing but happiness and love, it is a moment I will never forget.
I always find that as I serve others I learn more from them then I could ever teach them. I am learning so much about myself and my capabilities as I work here in India, you truly find yourself through losing yourself in service. I know that my life will never be the same as it was before I left, I have so much to be grateful for and I know how important it is that we make service to others a priority in our everyday lives. As we went around saying goodbye, each man and woman grabbed our hands, some kissing them, others kissing our cheeks and I couldn’t help but kiss their hands back. I have never met more beautiful people in my life. They taught me that it is possible to be joyful no matter my situation. “I have a home, friends, and food I am very happy” they would say. As we drove away I watched them wave and blow kisses through teary eyes. I hope that someday I will have the opportunity to see them again. Today has overwhelmed me, nothing is the same, it’s like seeing the world through new beautiful eyes.
This man smiled and laughed when we showed him this picture. Saying "Super"
Waving goodbye
When we returned home we had playtime with the kids which was so refreshing and fun. I will never get sick of seeing their beautiful little faces laughing and beaming as they run toward me yelling “Butterfly Aunty, Butterfly Aunty” (my new nickname after the craft yesterday) They are so much fun, I love having them grab me by the hand and pull me to the monkey bars or the slide asking me to play with them.
i love this candid that Kim caught:)



After dinner we went to our families. I’ve started talking more and more to my house mother Rajakumari. She is beautiful and only in her early 20s. When she is not teaching math, English, social studies, or dance, she is watching the 15 rambunctious little boys in her room. They love her and I love being able to get to know her. The past few nights I have talked to her a little, and I would help her with her English(She is reading Island of the Blue Dolphins and will ask me if she doesn’t know the meaning of a word.) But it was not until last night that we really connected. We talked about her family who she misses but luckily lives close, her past jobs (she worked as a translator and got to travel to France!), and he hectic schedule. She asked me about my life and my travels and what I thought of India, she laughed at my constant use of the word “Awesome” but then assured me that all Americans say it a lot and she actually loves it. She is absolutely beautiful.
Tonight after the little boys went to bed we had so much fun talking and laughing. One of the older boys was showing me his drumming skills, and he was pretty dang good. She then got up and began to do a beautiful Indian dance showing me examples of all the different styles. She is so graceful. We then watched as the little boy on the drums showed me all of his dance moves. I called him silly and he started laughing, she told me that silly is close to the tamil word for dessert and we both laughed at the mistranslation. Later on she told him “too much” as his silliness progressed and he playfully punched the boy next to him saying that she had said “two punch”. This started a whole new round of giggles. We sat on the floor like that with her arm around my shoulders laughing and joking like two old friends. I love that about this culture here, No matter where you can lean out the window and wave and yell the Tamil word for hello (sounds like wanna come but with a v instead of a w) and people will smile and wave back. Before I left she told me to come back in the morning and she would make my hair “beautiful”. I love my little “family” Giving them all pinch kisses and hugs before bed amd recieveing them back just absolutely made my night.No matter how tired or covered in bugs I am they make it all better.  I don’t know how I’ll leave my boys in just another two short weeks.
I feel like I will never be able to take enough pictures, record enough videos, and write enough pages to keep all the memories being made here. I truly love these people they amaze me and teach me something every single day. I have discovered the beauty and magic of India, my heart will always be here.
Wwithgreatlovee,

Kenzie

 
p.s. Abbie meet Abbie, she was so excited to hear that I have a sister with her same name at home in America! She is so beautiful and funny, you would like her:)

4 comments:

  1. Love the updates. Wish I was making legs in India!
    Keep up the good work.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought was, Kenzie, you’ve grown! But, I realize, it must be tiny people you are working with :)

    I love reading your updates, but also getting a glimpse into your heart and soul. I’m so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee Hee...I thought the same thing as Carrie!! You kinda look like a giant next to the guy in the first pic :-)

    Love the photo of you spinning Aravind! And the one as you were leaving Moot. Fun that you are getting to know Rajakumari - what a wonderful job she has!

    Love it all . . . keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kenzie this is Abbie on moms account. That is sooooo cool!! and she spells it the same too! tell her i say hi! shes sooooooooooooo CUTE :)

    ReplyDelete