Thursday, July 15, 2010

"Once you see, you own the responsibility to do."
-Becky Douglas
This quote is painted on the wall right outside of the kitchen window, I always love reading it, and it is so true. I will never be the same after having these experiances, because I have seen and learned so much I have the responsibility find some way to help, no matter how small or large, I must find a way to make some small difference. This is so important because it is something I will tak home with me. No matter where you are there are people who need your help, it is so important that we do not overlook that responsibility.

Today I was in the construction group. We went out to one of the colonies and worked on building a community center. The colony that we went to was amazing, it was almost impossible to tell the difference between it and any other city, it did not at all resemble the dirty small shacks we had seen at the last colony and was such an amazing example of one the micro loans can do. Padma has been visiting that colony for twenty years now and it has grown so much! The commnity center that is being built is being paid for by the people of the olony who have all pooled their money and loans. Doctor Kumar explained to us that the community center will not only be useful as a meeting place for the people, but also as a place where they can be married. In India people are married in either temples or wedding halls/community centers. Members of leprosy colonies are not allowed to use these venues, and so by building their own they can make a special place for self help group meetings and also weddings!

This is the building so far! Foundation and walls in only 3 weeks
This is what we did today:
It may not look like to much but we moved the entire pile of dirt on the right side of the building away from the building. Using bowls that we would load and move in an asembly line. It was hot, but we worked hard and enjoyed ourselves(taking lots of water breaks!)
We then carried buckets of cement to another area where a bathroom is being built. Hygiene is so important, so these bathrooms will be very importand to the people when they are finished.


Here's the entire "Cobra" group! (our group name)

We were absolutely filthy by the end!

On our way back to campus we picked up ice cream that tasted incredible after our long day and my bucket shower back on campus was divine. Its amazing what can be accomplished through hard work, even if its just moving a pile of dirt. We did what we needed to do, and we did it with a smile on all of our faces. And that smile made all the difference it the world:)

After returning from the colonies we had a slight change in our normal routine. Instead of play time we had talent classes. Each of the volunteers was asked to think of something that they could teach the children and share some of the talents. The students then chose which class they wanted to attend. This is special because most of their day is highly scheduled. For my talent craft we did a butterfly craft. Using coffee filters and water colors they each created a beautiful butterfly and I tied it onto a string attached to a popsicle stick so that they could fly it around! The kids loved the class and it was so much fun to talk about how everyone is different just like all of the butterflies. They then ran outside and were so proud to show all of their friends what they had made. but what made me really happy was watching the little boys get creative with their butterflies, for some reason it reminded me a lot of my little brother and his crazy inventions:)
 
One little boy had attached his popsicle stick to a paper airplane and would throw it across the playground with the butterfly trailing behind.
 
Another boy had taken the popsicle stick off and replaced it with a rock. He was then using a slingshot to send it flying into the air, they were so excited and happy and I loved it!
 
A third boy was holding a sword and would spin with the butterfly in one hand and try to hit it with the sword in his other hand!
 

I loved looking at all the little kids creations as they ran out of their classes and to the playground. Thay have such bright futures ahead of them.
 
After dinner we spent more time with our family and I worked on homework with the boys. I know I've said this before, but their determination never fails to amaze me! Yesterday one of our coordinators assigned me two little boys from my family to get to know and write a short bio for each of them (these boys are new to the school and the bio will be used on the RSO website on the sponsor page) at first I'll admit it sounded like a lot of work and they are young the language barrier is even harder to work through. But the past two nights I've been spending time with them and I've realized what a huge blessing this really is. It gives me the opportunity to get to know two adorable boys and learn more about them that I would not normally have worked to find out. I can't wait to see what I find out!
 
 
High: Working on the construction job, it was awesome to see how well all of my group worked together even when we were hot and exhausted, everyone was always positive and encouraging.
 
Low: Having to take so many breaks because of the heat.
 
wwithgreatlovee,
Kenzie

3 comments:

  1. Okay so I couldn't wait until the morning to read the new post.... I LOVE reading the details of your day. Maybe I should pass along to brother ming your new technique of bowl passing to move the pile of dirt... and he'd need a heater to warm things up a little here (although it was 100 degrees today). haha. Love ya sista ming

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's dang toasty here, so I was sweating while I read this one . . . appropriate, right?

    I love that the strings & sticks added fun to the butterflies - not exactly in the way I was visualizing, but I guess I'm not a little boy -- hee hee!!

    Cute pix of Aravind - I'm starting to recognize him & pick him out in your pix. (still can't load RSO site though -- ughh)

    Have another good one today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can’t load RSO either. Not sure why, but at least I know it’s not just me....

    Good work on the dirt pile! You’ve never been shy about getting down and dirty--I remember when you used to collect bugs and make little homes for them :)

    Oh, and I love that you have a pharmanex shirt on! Great work today!

    ReplyDelete