Monday, July 12, 2010

Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.
--Vincent van Gogh

Today was our first day at Rising Star Outreach!
After a three hour non airconditioned bus ride from the Marriot we finally arrived at the RSO campus!
It is ubelievable, the new volunteer hostels are so clean and beautiful.

After getting settled we were able to play with the kids during their free time. The children refer to the volunteers as auntie and uncle, which I loved. The moment we arrived at the playground children ran up dragging us by our hands and asking what our names were. The kids love to have their picture taken. As soon as they saw my camera come out I felt like their personal photographer:)

(this is three out of about a hundred! I'll have to create a flickr account or something, to many to post)

They would run up asking "Aunty aunty photo photo" and then "I see I see" as they waited for me to turn the camera around so they could see the pictures.

the kids all looking at their pictures taken by another volunteer

We all had an amazing time and the kids were so happy and loving. After playtime we were off to dinner which was also amazing, and served on leaves! Apparently it's more sanitary then plates!
the food was absolutely amazing, I can hardly wait for the rest of our meals!

After dinner we were told our assigned "families"/ The boys and girls that attend the school are broken up into families of about 30 boys or girls and have a house mom who acts as their mom away from home. Each night we get the opportunity to split up with our families and help the older children with their homework, read story books to the younger children, and help put them all to bed. We act as their family away from home and it helps to teach them things about family relationships that they might not otherwise learn.
my family

I had a surprisingly fun time helping with western math assignments and even helping one boy memorize paragraphs he had to recite in class the next day. He was so dedicated, we practiced over and over again until he had finally gotten them all pefect even though he was so frustrated, he didn't give up. I loved being able to help and pick up the littler boys who had fallen asleep. My heart melted as they wrapped their arms around me and laid their heads down on my shoulder already falling asleep again as I carried them to their rooms. It's impossible not to fall in love with each and every one of them.

It's official India has stolen my heart.

withgreatlove,
Kenzie


4 comments:

  1. The fun begins! Thanks for posting, love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having fun, miss you!!!



    Love Ya,
    Porter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to be following this blog. You are an amazing young woman and I am privileged to know you! Keep up the great work and I look forward to your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow kenz. i love this post! i'm so glad youre sharing your experiences this way. i hope you can keep taking lots of pics! sounds like you are busy!

    ReplyDelete